March 2019

Reading Ladders

March 2019

Ordered By Last To Most Recently Read Novels:

Title and Author

# of Pages Date Started Date Completed Pages Rating

1. Persepolis By: Marjane Satrapi

160

March 2, 2019     March 9,2019       20  

5

2. Persepolis II By Marjane Satrapi

200

March 10, 2019

March 16, 2019     25      4
3. And The Mountains Echoed By Khaled Housseini 426 March 17, 2019

March 31, 2019

30

4.5

Total Pages Read:

Altogether I read 786 pages throughout the course of the month.

160 + 200 + 426 = 786

On a weekly basis, I would read approximately 112 pages.

786 = 112/Week

During the month of March, my daily reading count was 16 pages per day on average.

112/7 = 16/Day

This is the number of pages that I read daily, on average based on how busy or vacant my schedule was, it would vary to be more or less. If I knew that I would have less time to read on a particular day due to school work that I have than I would read extra on the days that I had less work or get some of the reading done at school within the duration of the breaks that I was able to get.

Top Two Books:

• Persepolis By: Marjane Satrapi

This novel is non-fiction it is an informative piece in regards to the life of the author Marjane Satrapi and her experience of how she resided in Afghanistan within the time of corruption and war. This book is actually a graphic novel so, there are many visuals that correspond with the text to form a very interesting reading experience. Persepolis is a very underrated series; the first  I heard of it was in the library on the Banned Books List I really enjoy reading books about social issues because I feel that more awareness is being brought on important problems; thus I decided to give the book a chance, and might I add I am glad that I decided to do so.

This book provides a lot of information on the background of Islam and even individuals who are not Muslim should give this book a try I highly recommend it as it has a very intriguing essence to it. For example, when I read this book it was almost as if I was reading in slow-motion because all of the words and sentences spoke to me with such gravity that I had no choice but to slow down. Furthermore, the author describes her time as a child and how that was influenced by the environment that she was in and her innocence is very entertaining to read. We are very fortunate to be living in a country where war and corruption is not knocking at our doorstep so, this book provides people like us with the perspective of others within that situation and the overall impact that it is having on families upon families. After reading this book there was a feeling of admiration that I felt for the author and how she fought through such a terrible time, but also a feeling of sadness that these events have repercussions that last today. For all of these reasons I have rated this novel a 5 out of 5, I may have a hint of bias because I practice this religion nonetheless even if I was not Muslim and had the same feelings as I do now this book still would have appealed to me.

• And The Mountains Echoed By Khaled Housseini   

I have previously read A Thousand Splendid Suns which is written by Khaled Housseini, and I absolutely love the style of writing that he brings to the table it is so, different. The story like many others that he has written take place in Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live with their father and stepmother in the small village of Shadbagh. Living in poverty their father searches for work, and they consistently struggle through the harsh winter months. To Abdullah, Pari is beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy; in Farsi, Pari means “fairy”. Abdullah will do anything for her almost as a parent, even trading his only pair of shoes for a feather for her treasured collection. Each night they sleep together in their cot, their heads touching, their limbs tangled. One day the siblings journey across the desert to Kabul with their father. Pari and Abdullah have no sense of the fate that awaits them there, for the event which unfolds will tear their lives apart; sometimes a finger must be cut to save the hand. Crossing generations and continents, moving from Kabul to Paris, to San Francisco, to the Greek island of Tinos, with profound wisdom, depth, insight, and compassion. Moreover the novel begins with a story about a man and his son being taken away from him by a monster referred to as a jinn or divv and growing up I used to hear a lot of stories about these monsters so, reading about it in a book brought back a lot of memories that I had as a child. In addition, there are sections of the story that highlight what is happening in the life of the different characters and I found that it was amazing how the character were all intertwined in some way. Lastly, there were a lot of powerful moments within this book that really made my heart s squeeze it was a beautiful read. For all of these reasons, I have rated this novel a 4.5 out of 5 because I felt that too many characters were being introduced simultaneously and it was hard to follow at times though. Furthermore, personally I was not satisfied with the ending of the story as it left me longing for an alternate resolution, however, all in all, I highly recommend it.

Goal:

Currently, I am satisfied with my reading level and the fact that I was able to not underestimate the power that a graphic novel can hold, however, in order to further develop both my writing and reading ability I must expand the complexity of the reading that I am doing. I plan to read 3-4 books preferably more within the next few months regardless of the fact that I  no longer have English this semester because English is also incorporated within other classes as well, thus it is crucial for me to continue to improve. For example, being able to interpret and understand complicated math and science questions will be possible solely by reading more. The level of the books that I am leaning towards is more advanced books which will allow me to increase my level of understanding and my level of vocabulary.

Some books that I want to read that fall into the categories above include:

• Kite Runner By Khaled Housseini
  • Woman At Point Zero Written By Nawa El-Saadawi

In terms of a plan of action I will continue to read during my breaks and free time and if I know that I have a busy schedule coming up then proactively read a little extra on the days where I am less busy. Finally, I plan on implementing the use of a reading schedule where I can organize how much I read and have a goal to work towards. Overall, I hope to grow and learn even more within the near future in order to provide myself with the skills required to excel in courses other than English.

Information Used:

GIPHY. (2018). Speak Stand Up [Image]. Retrieved from https://giphy.com/gifs/freedom-speaking-about-talking-dJewAsIJsLK1nP2Zxk

Digital Images Used:

ITunes. (2019). And the Mountains Echoed A Novel Khaled Hosseini [Image]. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/and-the-mountains-echoed/id574439368?mt=11

The Young Folks. (2019). Our Shared Shelf June book review: “Persepolis 1 & 2”[Image]. Retrieved from https://www.theyoungfolks.com/review/82382/our-shared-shelf-june-book-review-persepolis-1-2/