May 2019

Reading Ladders

May 2019

Ordered By Last To Most Recently Read Novels:

Title and Author

# of Pages Date Started Date Completed Pages Rating

1. City of Bones By Cassandra Clare

485

May 3, 2019

May 13, 2019

30

4.5

2. The Ember In The Ashes By Sabaa Tahir 446 May 15, 2019 May 22, 2019 25

4.5

Total Pages Read:

Altogether I read 931  pages throughout the course of the month.

485 + 446 = 931

On a weekly basis, I would read approximately 133 pages.

931 = 133/Week

During the month of May, my daily reading count was 19  pages per day on average.

133/7 = 19/Day

This is the number of pages that I read daily, on average based on how busy or vacant my schedule was, it would vary to be more or less. If I knew that I would have less time to read on a particular day due to school work that I have than I would read extra on the days that I had less work or get some of the reading done at school within the duration of the breaks that I was able to get.

Top Two Books:

• City of Bones By Cassandra Clare

Image result for city of bones

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.

I heavily enjoyed the plot of the story and the journey that the author took me on it was amazing. I really enjoy reading fantasy books that have an interesting element to it and this book has it all. My favorite parts were reading the sarcastic thoughts and comments that specific characters provided simply because it was very humorous.

In addition, there are sections of the story that highlight what is happening in the life of the different characters and I found that it was amazing how the character were all intertwined in some way. Lastly, there were a lot of powerful moments within this book that really made my heart squeeze it was a beautiful read. For all of these reasons I have rated this novel a 4.5 out of 5 and I highly recommend this novel to anyone who needs a powerful read.

• An Ember In The Ashes By Sabaa Tahir

Image result for an ember in the ashes

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

I am just going to say that this book is one of the best that I have come to read. There are so many elements to it that it makes this novel as great as it is. For instance, the mere fact that this story is based on a fairy tale makes it interesting already because may modern takes can be done either very bad or very good and this one is definitely in the second category. Overall by my standards, I would say that this book is not very difficult so I would rate it 4.5 because even though the vocabulary choice is not complex the plot really shines through and makes this book a work of art.

Goal:

Currently, I am satisfied with my reading level and the fact that I was able to not underestimate the power that a graphic novel can hold, however, in order to further develop both my writing and reading ability I must expand the complexity of the reading that I am doing. I plan to read 3-4 books preferably more within the next few months regardless of the fact that I  no longer have English this semester because English is also incorporated within other classes as well, thus it is crucial for me to continue to improve. For example, being able to interpret and understand complicated math and science questions will be possible solely by reading more. The level of the books that I am leaning towards are more advanced books which will allow me to increase my level of understanding and my level of vocabulary.

Some books that I want to read that fall into the categories above include:

• Woman At Point Zero Written By Nawa El-Saadawi

In terms of a plan of action I will continue to read during my breaks and free time and if I know that I have a busy schedule coming up then proactively read a little extra on the days where I am less busy. Finally, I plan on implementing the use of a reading schedule where I can organize how much I read and have a goal to work towards. Overall, I hope to grow and learn even more within the near future in order to provide myself with the skills required to excel in courses other than English.

Inspiration Reviews From:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256683.City_of_Bones

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27774758-an-ember-in-the-ashes?ac=1&from_search=true

Digital Images:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/an-ember-in-the-ashes/sabaa-tahir/9780008108427

https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Bones-Mortal-Instruments-1/dp/1406307629