June 2019

Reading Ladders

June 2019

Ordered By Last To Most Recently Read Novels:

Title and Author

# of Pages

Date Started

Date Completed Reading Rate Difficulty
1. Jellicoe Road By Melina Marchetta

419

June 1, 2019

June 9 , 2019

25

4

2. War Storm By Victoria Aveyard

412

June 9, 2019

June 19,2019

40

4

Total Pages Read:

412 + 419 = 831

831/4 = 207/Week

207/7 = 30/Day

This is the number of pages that I read daily, on average based on how busy my schedule was that day or how vacant my schedule was, it would vary to be more or less. If I knew that I would have less time to read on a particular day than either I would read extra on the days that I had less work or get some of the reading done at school within the duration of the breaks that I was able to get.

Top Two Books:

Jellicoe Road By Melina Marchetta

Image result for jellicoe road

Out of the five books that I was able to read within the duration of the second term my top favorite book is Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. There are several reasons for my choice, for one thing, I enjoy elements of romance but not to the level where the romance dominates and is all that I am reading in the novel and in my opinion this novel incorporates romance + actual conflict and a proper storyline exceptionally. At first when I saw the cover of the book online I was a little caught off guard because it was not the most visually appealing it was almost childish, however, I decided to read it anyway because I looked at the reading level and it was said to be a grade 11 level novel and I always love to test my limits. Finally, the actual plot was really interesting because there was this element of mysteriousness from it and the different elements in the story all tied together and reading it was very interesting especially to see it all unfold as the story led on. For these reasons, this novel is my top favorite.    

War Storm By Victoria Aveyard

Image result for war storm

Another one of my favorite novels that I have read is War Storm by Victoria Aveyard. This novel is the last one in the Red Queen Series which is ultimately one of my favorite series of all time, this is because it contains a lot of different types of genres, for example, it has romance, science-fiction, magic/mystic, and tragedy. After reading any of the four books in the series you can experience a roller coaster of emotions. In the third book, there was a battle going on between the protagonist Mare against the antagonist Maven who is a corrupt tyrant of sorts. Maven is absolutely crazy and he would kill anyone that he has to in order to get Mare in his clutches. Therefore, once the final battle commenced it definitely did not disappoint for me. Finally, similar to Jellicoe Road there was a sprinkle of romance and in this novel, it was a great addition because for Mare it was a moment of escape from the evil that was around her and for the reader it created a placid atmosphere. In short, this was another great story that I will likely read again.

Goal:

Currently, I am satisfied with my reading level and the fact that I was able to not underestimate the power that a graphic novel can hold, however, in order to further develop both my writing and reading ability I must expand the complexity of the reading that I am doing. I plan to read 3-4 books preferably more within the next few months regardless of the fact that I  no longer have English this semester because English is also incorporated within other classes as well, thus it is crucial for me to continue to improve. For example, being able to interpret and understand complicated math and science questions will be possible solely by reading more. The level of the books that I am leaning towards are more advanced books which will allow me to increase my level of understanding and my level of vocabulary.

Some books that I want to read that fall into the categories above include:

• Woman At Point Zero Written By Nawa El-Saadawi

In terms of a plan of action I will continue to read during my breaks and free time and if I know that I have a busy schedule coming up then proactively read a little extra on the days where I am less busy. Finally, I plan on implementing the use of a reading schedule where I can organize how much I read and have a goal to work towards. Overall, I hope to grow and learn even more within the near future in order to provide myself with the skills required to excel in courses other than English.

Digital Images:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/war-storm/victoria-aveyard/9781409175995

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1162022.On_the_Jellicoe_Road